Antarctica is remote, with a harsh environment and limited medical facilities. Because of this, all grantees, employees, and technical representatives are required to pass stringent medical and dental examinations before deploying to the Ice. The process creates a large amount of paperwork for you to fill out, and while we understand it may seem cumbersome, we hope that you find it worthwhile for the adventure on which you are about to embark.
For more details about deploying to the Ice, read the USAP Participant Guide.
The Antarctic Support Contractor (ASC) processes all USAP participant deployment paperwork.
USAP medical and travel qualification forms are only to be completed and submitted by individuals who have received valid offer letters of employment and/or official National Science Foundation approval for deployment to Antarctica. Submissions without valid offers or approvals do not constitute an obligation on the part of the USAP for employment or deployment
To begin the deployment process follow the below steps:
NOTE: ASC no longer mails deployment packets to potential participants. If for some reason you have problems printing the forms, send an email to either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (depending on the forms you cannot print: medical vs. travel related).
- Print the Medical and Dental Checklist for Deployment Clearance to Antarctica that ASC emailed to you, bring it with you to all of your medical appointments, and use it as a reference to complete the Physical Qualification (PQ) process.
- Go to the following location to print all medical forms: Medical Deployment Packet
- Complete all required laboratory tests, and be sure to bring the Required Labs document with you to each appointment (the document is included in the packet of forms).
- Mail or fax your completed medical forms at least eight weeks prior to your deployment to the address included within the medical packet.
NOTE: Do not submit completed medical forms via email; any forms received by email are disposed of without action.
- Grantee and Technical Event personnel go to the following location to print all travel forms: Travel Deployment Packet—Non-ASC Participants
ASC personnel, go to the following location to print all travel forms: Travel Deployment Packet—ASC Personnel
- Mail or fax your completed travel forms at least eight weeks prior to your deployment to the following address:
NOTE: Do not submit completed travel forms via email; any forms received by email are disposed of without action.
ASC Travel Group
7400 S. Tucson Way
Centennial, CO 80112
Phone:1.800.688.8606 ext. 33202 or 303.790.8606 ext. 33202
- Complete the Information Security Awareness course as directed in your Travel Deployment Packet, specifically, in the Deployment Requirements for Information Security Training and Computer Requirements document.